MVA Mission Statement -
Partnering with families and the community, McDowell Virtual Academy will provide each of its 6-12 students flexible learning choices that are relevant and rigorous to prepare them for college, careers and the global community of lifelong learners.
MVA Vision -
To inspire lifelong learners through challenging and flexible personalized learning.
2023-2024 MVA Application is now open!
Any new and all current MVA students entering 6th-12th Grades should apply by March 10th
(Click here for the application)
WELCOME TO MCDOWELL VIRTUAL ACADEMY!
Staff contact information and Google Meet Codes page:
School Improvement Plan
NCSTAR Guest Login for MVA username GuestS20347 - password GuestS20347
(We welcome any feedback from the community on our school improvement plan. Please click here to give us any feedback.)
School Improvement Team Meeting Schedule
Low Performing School Letter to Parents
LATEST ANNOUNCEMENTS AND INFORMATION
- Wednesday, March 22nd In-Person Day - We encourage all of our students to participate. Please make sure your student completes the in-person day form. Mr. Jensen's fishing club is going fishing at the Marion Fish Hatchery on Wednesday also. Students participating can help you complete the permission slip using Kami and return if they are going fishing. The permission slip is included on the in-person form. Pizza will be served at both MVA and the hatchery for students' lunch. Please complete the in-person day form by Monday evening so that we can plan how much pizza we will need.
- March 31st End of 3rd Nine Weeks - Any missing student work should be submitted by Monday, March 27th. Please have your student show you their grades in Canvas and make sure they are on track in Edmentum with their elective course completion.
- Wednesday, April 12th - 8-12th graders will be taking a field trip to tour MTCC and WPCC. There will be no cost for students and lunch is included. The permission form will be shared soon so that students can get these completed before Spring Break.
- Spring Break is April 3rd - 7th.
- April 28th - Junior/Senior Prom with MAI/MEC - If you are planning on attending, please complete the bottom portion of the guest request from MAI/MEC and complete a separate one if you are bringing a guest. Tickets are $50 each through March 31st. This is also when applications are due to me. After the 31st, tickets are $75. If you pay at the door they are $100.
Enrollment has begun for the 2023-24 school year at MVA. Please fill out the following form if you want to attend MVA next year, or even if you are just considering it so we have an idea about interest for next year. THANKS: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1J70QrJ2_uQ7ryniTz2sGTKeJSGHpR-7QWdwtRGhDRxw/edit?ts=63fd5fe7
If you missed our enrollment interest meeting on Monday Febuary 27th and have questions about enrolling at MVA, or would just like some more information about who we are and how to enroll, take a look at the Google Slide show we presented on Monday: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Yk2ebxTyOcI3nnBve-Fz_eYConVNcJN4YcgEEtUfGdk/edit?usp=sharing
Here is the schedule for clubs. New students please join! We will have clubs on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays each month.
Need Math Help Y'all? - Everyday there is math tutoring at 1:00 on Google Meet, nickname code jjmath. We will usually have 2 different teachers there each day to help out with any of your math questions.
- Need Help? - Google Help Meet Nickname: Thompsonmeet - Everyday from 7:30-8 we have a Google Meet for students and parents that might need help from McDowell Virtual Academy. You can come for help with Canvas, schedules, attendance policy questions/issues, tutoring/tutoring scheduling, technology questions, or just about anything education related. If we can't help you right away we will do our best do have someone address your issue or question by the next school day.
- Attendance and Participation Policy
- MVA has a Remind account for the school now. Remind is effective for text messaging announcements out to families as well as sending private messages back and forth. Please join our school Remind if you have not already with this link - https://www.remind.com/join/ehg8g2
- Electives for Students - Electives are in Edmentum and ready to begin! Students, you can open Edmentum from your Classlink dashboard of apps that pop up when you login to your chromebook.
- Students, make sure you are checking your grades and missing assignments in Canvas. Final grades and attendance can be checked in PowerSchool.
- Parents, if you would like to become a Parent Observer of your student's Canvas here are step-by-step instructions. Get the app here.
- Some errors with Chromebooks right now are due to a Chrome update. Make sure to go to your 3 dots in the top right of chrome, go to settings and "about chrome" and check for updates. You may need to relaunch chrome when it shows it's finished. It's always a good idea to clear browser data every couple of weeks too. Here is a video on how to do those things.
- Virtual Freshman Orientation (for rising 9th graders) - HERE IS THE RECORDING.
- Mandatory Family Night - HERE ARE THE SLIDES of information from family night. Daily schedule, attendance information, how to sign up for Canvas observer and Parent PowerSchool are all linked.
McDowell County Schools will continue offering daily support at email@example.com as well as firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have questions about MCS Learning Management System (LMS)
Click Here To Visit the MCS LMS Support Page
Attention families of K-5 students enrolled for 2022-2023 School Year - There is a...
Families - If your child did not have a photo made at school in the fall we need a phot...
We're sorry, no events were found for this calendar.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.